Category Archives: odom
Laker’s Shannon Brown is caught displaying a “full moon” as Derek Fisher is being interviewed…and you see Lamar Odom…I know Khloe is happy with “that”…I’m sure getting pregnant was no problem!LOL
That was a promo for his Cavaliers-Tenderizing-Celtics-Sterilizing-Magic-Hypnotizing-LeBron-Posterizing-Full-Moon-is-Rising Dunk.
Lakers.com click here to listen to audio
Media day is still three days away, but that didn’t keep Phil Jackson from sitting down at L.A.’s practice facility on Friday to provide a little teaser for a hungry group of journalists that assembled in El Segundo.
It was a busy summer in Laker Land, featuring the 15th championship celebration for the franchise, the return of Jackson for another run, the acquisition of Ron Artest, the re-signing of Lamar Odom and Shannon Brown, Pau Gasol’s finger injury and subsequent MVP award in the European Championships, an assemblance of most of L.A.’s young players at the practice facility and, sure, Odom’s weekend wedding.
Alas, as Jackson was talking, we did our best to follow along with the fingers moving:
– The Coach opened by answering a question about his T-Mobile commercial, citing that he goes “way back” with Jesse James because James was a companian of Dennis Rodman’s. Your usual soft opener.
– The first comment Phil had regarding the coming basketball season was that the team wanted to “make the transition for Ron Artest seamless,” adding that Artest is “The defensive player we’ve wanted over the course of the last couple of years. Defense is going to be the item of the day.” Jackson also mentioned that he doesn’t think Artest’s presence will disrupt the offense: “Our game is not predicated on calling plays, it’s about the players reading the game and trying to get the ball to the open man.”
– Jackson neglected to talk about his contract after the coming season, saying he hasn’t talked to Jerry Buss.
– On Kurt Rambis taking the Timberwolves’ head coaching position: “I don’t think a person particularly (will replace him) but the do-it-all nature that he had has to be picked up by some people. I’ll have to spend a little more time working with the big guys, and the staff will have to take on the defensive responsibility that Kurt had. We’ll miss that but we’re (happy he had the opportunity in Minnesota).”
– Jackson agreed that his frontcourt foursome of Bynum-Gasol-Artest-Odom is easily the most talented he’s ever had, and cited the Portland team in 2000 as the last big foursome that had similar on-paper talent.
– On distractions regarding certain players’ off court interests: “It will be something we have to talk about. There’s a certain amount of privacy that we have to demand from (the players) and I think these guys are professional. They’ll understand it.” Jackson said one difference between his Bulls days and now is the media climate, including Twitter, TMZ and constant internet coverage.
– There will be restrictions for players in terms of social media from the team. “There are things they’ll have to be cognizant of.”
– Jackson said he is going to Lamar Odom’s much-reported wedding. “I’m very supportive of Lamar and want everything to go right for him.”
– On continuity from last season: “I have a group on the floor that I know can finish ball games, but a spot is open (with Trevor leaving). I have a second unit that I’m proud of and played really well last season.”
– On point guard dynamic: “There’s no secret that we’ve tried to limit Derek’s (Fisher) minutes … His work ethic is unbelievable, his preparation is as good as anyone I’ve ever coached and he’s played 82 games over the course of (four years). That being said, we want to keep him in a 22 to 28 minute role. He needs to do things for us like he did in the playoffs, a guy that can do critical things in critical moments.”
– On similarities between Artest and Dennis Rodman: “Both of them have an ability to focus at certain times and also to be distracted, but other than that, I don’t think so. Dennis was interested in defense and rebounding, but he’d pass up a shot when he was wide open. There never was that consideration that he’d be taking too many shots or bad shots. Ron is a guy that likes to score and will score, so that’s a different role. Personality wise, Dennis was a guy who could really go through the day without talking. Ron’s the kind of guy that’s very verbose. There’s quite a difference.”
– Jackson said that he’s concerned about Sasha Vujacic’s mindset. He thinks he’s the best shooter on the floor, but needs to rebound from a mental standpoint heading into the season. He thinks the Slovenian situation was difficult, but hopes Vujacic can use it as motivation. Phil added, “We asked him to cut his hair and he did.” A psychological fresh start? “Sasha played with his hair last year more than he did on the court,” Jackson quipped.
– On Andrew Bynum, who’s back in town after training in Atlanta all summer. “Andrew looks good. His weight is lighter, which is a good deal. He’s been back here for a few days (after working out in Atlanta). He’s really excited about getting back and has a goal of making the All-Star team this season.”
– On Twitter and social media: “I think it’s wonderful in our society that we’ve had (the ability to access) so much information for free. A lot of it ends up just being gossip or heresay, so it makes our society more personality oriented. From that standpoint there’s a negative, but from a positive standpoint there are some things that are very good. As far as Twitter goes, Jeannie (Buss) uses it and thinks that it’s a good source of (information) and wants me to start, but I’m saying no.
More to come next week from what’s shaping up to be quite an interesting ride.
LAMAR ODOM AND KHLOE KARDASHIAN ARE GETTING MARRIED THIS SUNDAY (September 27) !!!!! WITH NO PRE-NUP
I have no words for this union. It’s no secret that I am and have always been a Los Angeles Lakers fan, and re-signing Lamar Odom helped to solidify our championship hopes…but this has me “worried” a little bit. How is Lamar focusing on up coming training camp, with all this fiasco going on? I know my girl over at Necolebitchie.com think Lamar is trying to garner attention, but I don’t think that’s it at all. Lamar Odom plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, the world champions and getting attention is no problem. We can see that from the daily up to the minute for 31 days of his free agency. But I surely don’t understand how this man, who was dating Academy Award nominated Tarij P. Henson earlier in the year, decides to date and marry (in less than a month) Khole Kardashian…and without a pre-nup? Now I am a firm believer in when you are ready to marry someone, you are saying I trust you with all that I have…but I’m just not sure about this? But like a friend said…who knows how much the Kardashians are worth? So for this fan right here…long as Lamar does not allow this to interfere with our championship run…whatever! Cause we all know that he is a very emotional guy.
E Hollywood has already dumped 300k to pay for this ceremony.
Why are they rushing? Is someone pregnant?
UPDATE: via NecoleBitchie.com
Soooo apparently the Kardashian family are selling pictures of the wedding to different magazines… Highest bidder gets them. They are taping the wedding for the show Keeping Up with the Kardashins – Spinoff show already planned for Lamar and Khloe.
Now my offseason is complete. I can finally enjoy the championship and gear up for the next season. Let’s Go Lakers.
It’s like this…Having Odom just gives insurance…but having him, and not having Bynum last year=no ring, and a pitiful display in the finals against a healthy celtic team. Understand with our current team w/o Odom, Cleveland is NOT BETTER THAN US FOR SURE..they added Shaq, & they still not better than Boston or Orlando in my opinion. So as bad as I want Lamar to sign with us…I know Miami WILL NOT make it past the first round in the east, unless they playing the hawks, and it’s still not a guarantee, especially with the Knicks offering up David Lee for Boozer. Bynum was a foul magnet in the playoffs, but let’s not 4get, in Kobe’s first playoffs he was shooting airballs. Bynum steps on a teammates feet, gets injured then Kobe falls into his knee and he is injured, and now we have NO confidence in the young man. We all seen the work he put into his game in the off season. He gave up his place at US mini camp, because he wants to rehabilitate his then 90% healed knee. When the days come when the ball must go into the paint first, Bynum and Gasol will still prove to be all that Kobe needs to truly get the job done, oh and having Artest can be that insurance. No team in the West has become better than the Lakers in the west so our seat is guaranteed as long as we stick together…Lamar just SEALS it!I want Lamar on our team in the worst way…but I’m not convinced like everyone else that if he does not return we have no chance…having Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol always gives us a chance.
LakerNation here we are in the 3rd week of free agency and so much has happened and changed with our championship team! We all watched “David Lee” Trevor Ariza’s agent attempt to bluff the organization and he was quickly replaced! Jeff Schwartz has also taken an approach with the organization that was not in his client’s best interest, and has Lamar back-peddling a little to repair any bridges that may have been burned when he nor his agent responded to the 4yrs 9mil offer the Lakers placed on the table for the soon to be 30yr old forward. According to thelakersnation.com Dr. Buss is still upset with the way the whole thing was handled, so now we all must wait to see what happens!
Yet to me it seems that this thing has gotten personal. If you have followed the Lakers for any amount of time during free agency period, you would know that when things can not be settled with Mitch, it brings Dr. Buss into the picture, and that does not always go well for the player. 2007 Kobe Bryant was tired of being as he described “the scape” goat for the franchise letting go of Shaquille Oneal, and the fact that he did not have the players he needed to be competitive in league! So after Dr. Buss tried talking to him, Kobe still insisted, and Dr. Buss quickly began entertaining the offers for Bryant. It was never that Dr. Buss did not want Kobe, but he would not be bullied or chumped by a player, I mean he does own the team. Andrew Bynum’s agent the aforementioned David Lee also went into “bully” status with Bynum, only the fact that it’s hard to find centers with Andrew’s skill and potential anywhere, is the only reason a deal got done, yet as we could see with the dealing of Trevor’s negotiations that Dr. Buss was not going to allow him to get away with it a second time, so out goes Trevor, and in comes Artest(which is a complete upgrade in my opinion) though I definitely loved Trevor as a Laker. Mildly put, Dr. Buss gave Lamar a great opportunity here in LA, when even some of us fans wanted to see him shipped out of here, as he failed to become Pippen to Kobe’s Jordan, but he sure as heck turned out to be a great Toni Kukoc, even better I would say. So hopefully Lamar “made nice” with Dr. Buss and on Monday morning he will officially put back on the purple and gold!
Cause I would really hate to see him on the other end of this mamba strike! I can understand he wants to secure his family legacy financially, but as a player I’m sure he also wants to be a winner! He is in the right place at the right time to see that happened. He endured the frustration of not making the playoffs, and then being ousted in the first round two years in a row, to the acquisition of Pau Gasol, which truly allowed him to do what he does best on the court, and that’s be versatile. In Miami, the pressure will be on him again to be a second scorer behind Wade, because Oneal is has not played an entire season in years now. The difference for Lamar in this scenario is it’s Wade, and legitimately that’s it, so he would be called on for big numbers night in and night out, no days off. At least in LA he has Kobe and Pau to take the slack if Bynum is unavailable for whatever reason.
Lamar please take a moment and think about cementing your legacy beyond the money: How about with more championship rings? You have already surpassed the Miami Heat franchise in final appearances…lol, and you are tied with Wade for rings, with the most potential to get another one. There is nothing stopping Miami from going ahead and acquiring Carlos Boozer, so tell me why it hasn’t happened yet? Are they waiting for you? And if so, why? Being that even without you, having Boozer on that team will be an upgrade. We know he will be getting his guaranteed $12mil, with you being offered the mid level, so how can you be so sure that they will add him after you sign? Maybe it’s nothing…I’m just offering what if’s here…lol. Lamar take the “risk” that’s a sure thing…with the Lakers you are guaranteed to be battling it out in the playoffs for a long time, WCF and Finals..you know the system(finally), and most importantly you are loyal to those who have been good to you. You said yourself you did not want to burn bridges with the Lakers because they have been too good to you. So what is there to think about…sign and the team will go into making sure you don’t regret it! Lamar Odom a Los Angeles Lakers 4 Life? I hope so.
LAKERS SIGN BACK UP POINT GUARD SHANNON BROWN TO A 2YR 4.2MIL CONTRACT. I’M SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS, I THINK HE WILL BE GREAT PLAYER TO HAVE TO BACK UP FISHER. ALSO WITH BROWN, ARTEST, AND BRYANT ON THE PERIMETER, LAKERS SHOULD BE THE TOP DEFENSIVE TEAM IN THE LEAGUE, ADD ANDREW BYNUM, IT LOOKS GOOD FOR THE DEFENDING CHAMPS. NOW LET’S GET L.O. IN THE FOLD AND WE READY.
LakerNation I begin this blog with a heavy heart, for one Trevor Ariza! Let me be clear from the beginning, I only wanted to see Trevor Ariza in a Lakers uniform for a long time to come, and on this 2 day of free agency we have found out that will NOT be. Trevor Ariza has just agreed in principle to a deal reportedly worth $32mil with….THE HOUSTON ROCKETS? Trevor took the full mid level exception from the Rockets and will begin his tenure as a Houston Rocket in 2009-2010 season. LakerNation it really was hard for me to just wrap my mind around this. Trevor Ariza’s agent David Lee has done a TREMENDOUS disservice to his client. He attempted to come at the Lakers in the same manner he did last year when the Lakers were looking to sign Andrew Bynum to an extension, but what he did not understand was Bynum is a rare Center with great potential, but small forwards who have been CONSISTENT for years were very much available and willing to play for the NBA Champion Lakers! So David Lee played hard ball and now Trevor is with a team, who is not sure what it’s future holds for the upcoming season…but hey at least he is paid! And to think of that he took the mid level exception, isn’t that what the Lakers offered him?Yes it was, so because the Lakers offered you what the league wide value was for you on top of putting you in the starting line-up on a championship caliber team, and gave you a chance to shine and showcase your skills, the mid level was “a slap in the face”…I don’t get it! But Trevor I am not blaming you, your stock was high this year and this is a business, but I am disappointed that you chose to take this personally, and go with Houston, who is giving you the same thing the Lakers offered you to stay! So we say goodbye to a very gifted and talented player in Trevor Ariza do well in Houston (except against us…lol)!
Hello Ron “Tru Warrior” Artest..you are about to be a Los Angeles Lakers! Now I mentioned Artest as a possible replacement if Trevor decided to go elsewhere, but I never imagined we would get him at such a deal…3yrs $18mil…The Lakers just one-upped every trade done to date! In acquiring Ron Artest the Lakers lose nothing from the basketball aspect, but they do gain someone that has been labeled a “problem child”, but truthfully he has not been that way since the Indiana incident. He also is not considered a “bad teammate”. Ex-teammates of Ron, has never spoken ill of him…so that tells me that he knows how to act on the court and in the locker room, and that’s all that matters to the Champs! So I will not make this “too long” of a post: Simply welcome Ron some of us have been long awaiting your arrival, and get ready for your first NBA Championship!